metromom

A collection of daily thoughts, ideas and links from a mom still seeking to acheive the "balance" of a spiritual journey, family, inner peace, carreer, world peace...while "trying" to look like a supermodel at the same time...

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Creating a Strong Password

Here are some helpful tips on creating a "strong password":

- Should be at least 8 characters long
-Should not contain your name or any portion of your name
-Should contain characters from at least 3 of the following classes:

1. Upper Case Letters (ABC)
2. Lower Case Letters (abc)
3. Numbers (123)
4. Special Characters (!@#*%&)

An easy way to do this is to create a passphrase this can be done quite simply and is easy to recall. Use a phrase such as: My dog has fleas. Change it to accomodate the above rules and you have a strong password:

Myd0gh@sfleas! In this case the first letter is capitalized (easy to remember, the o is actually the number zero, the a is the symbol @, and the exclamation point is an added symbol.

Why do we need strong passwords? As we all know identity theft is a huge problem. What you may not know is HOW easy it is for someone who wants to figure out your password to actually figure it out. The following is a listing of how quickly your password could be decoded.

Six character single case: (either a word or random letters: "google")
There are 308 million combinations and can be cracked in minutes

Eight Characters upper and lower case: (ex: WeDoLife)
53 trillion combinations and can be cracked in hours

Substitute a number for a letter: (ex: WeDoLif3)
218 trillion combinations and can be cracked in weeks

Substitue a special character for a letter: (ex: WeDoL!f3)
6095 trillion combinations and can be cracked in a year

What does this mean? Pick a STRONG password, and change it every couple months. Don't use the same password for all of your internet dealings. Pick something you will remember!



7 Comments:

At 8:18 PM , Blogger Martin said...

Yeah!!! A new entry, but still nothing about you feeling better...I wish you did (feel better). n0 pUKE 4 u

m@rTiN

 
At 7:28 AM , Blogger David Wegley said...

What brought this on? Did someone steal your password?

 
At 7:52 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I have three log-in names and four passwords/PINs that I use for everything. Well, six, if you count Martin's two passwords/PINs that he uses for everything.

I would be so easy to hack. But I simply cannot remember that many passwords. Even if they were cute phrases. I have a hard enough time with the ones I have now. And I think carrying a list of passwords in my purse is very unsecure. Even though I carry my SS card in my purse.

Yikes.

 
At 8:16 AM , Blogger metromom said...

No one has stolen my password, we've been undergoing training at work. They are now requiring us all to have STRONG passwords and change them every 45 days. This is to prevent someone hacking into our network system I guess. But it was helpful for me since I was like Betsy. I'm forcing myself to change.

 
At 9:16 AM , Blogger The Mac Fam said...

Well, I guess I am in trouble.

 
At 12:07 PM , Blogger David Wegley said...

It's always good to have a strong list of passwords. I don't change mine enough but I do have a relatively strong password. It's also nice because I use mainly Macs and while they are not hack proof, they are rarely if ever attacked by hackers, viruses and worms. At work we have one or two Windows machines a day that get one type of virus or another. Scary what people put up with when there are other solutions simply because they don't like a little change.

 
At 3:21 PM , Blogger Matt Barrett said...

What did the strong password say to the beautiful girl's username? Give up???

Hey B@by, l!Ke my Musc1e5

Ha - that was so lame, but I'm dying laughing at myself!

Seriously, I can't hardly remember how to spell my middle name, much less what my new password it. I did see a great system once, where a lady had an article about her daughter posted in her cubicle. Based on what month it was, she knew which word in the article was her current password. Easier to remember, but still not strong.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home