metromom

A collection of daily thoughts, ideas and links from a mom still seeking to acheive the "balance" of a spiritual journey, family, inner peace, carreer, world peace...while "trying" to look like a supermodel at the same time...

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Weird Question

I've been thinking about this as my alarm goes off each morning at 5:30am (and I push snooze at least once...) If I could set my schedule to my "perfect" preference, what would it be? I consider myself a morning person, but not when its still dark. I think I'm pretty sensitive to sunshine. I can't really describe the effect that a clear spring day has on my mood, energy, and attitude. I think it comes from growing up in it all year round as a kid. It's a boost that I can't describe. That's why I could never live in a city like NYC or Chicago or Seattle or even LA (too much smog...) I need to be able to see an expansive blue sky, with the warm rays of the sun shining down on me...Ahh, if there were a beach nearby...I'd be in heaven!

Ok, so back to the schedule thing. I guess if work, 3 year olds, or any other obligations had no say over my sleep patterns I would choose to head to bed around 10:30pm and wake up about 6:30am (without an alarm clock of course...). I'd wake up to sip coffee on my patio and smell the orange blossoms, then a work out, followed by a good breakfast and my day would be off to a great start!

So what about you, what would be your sleep schedule, if you could set it to your personal preference?

7 Comments:

At 8:18 AM , Blogger David Wegley said...

Mine would be, go to bed around 11pm and get up around 7:30. Get up have a great breakfast (Scrambled eggs, canadian bacon, toast, chai, OJ, and milk). Check my email, blogs, and start working on video projects for the day. Then eat some lunch. and continue working on video projects. That would be a good typical day.

 
At 8:19 AM , Blogger Brad said...

I would say that my ideal schedule is to wake up at 5:00am take in a run or workout, come back spend some time preparing for the day, a little breakfast with my wife, take a deep breath, get a good shower. Then I'd like to get home do something fun and adventurous. My ideal time to sleep is about 11:00pm.

 
At 8:22 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Good question. I always thought I wasn't a night person, but that's because I have always had to be an early riser due to school, work, etc. I am a person who has to have at least 8 hours of sleep.

For about a month in 2000, I had just moved back to Tulsa, hadn't found a job yet, and was living on savings. And I found that if I could sleep as late as I wanted to, for several days in a row, that my natural "rhythm" is to sleep from 3:00-11:00A. I am a night person!

I would go to be at 3:00A, and wake naturally and completely refreshed at 11:00A. If only we lived in a more flexible world.

And I agree with you. If I get 8 hours of sleep (whenever I go to bed), it would be optimal to get up and relax for a half hour or so each morning. A cup of coffee looking at the new day's sky would be fantastic.

Instead, I stay in bed until the very last possible moment (and often beyond that), then crawl out, shower, dress quickly and run out the door. No time for reflection or a cup of hot tea or coffee. Sigh.

 
At 8:22 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:44 AM , Blogger David Wegley said...

hee hee. Betsy is the double commenter of the day. =)

 
At 5:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to go to bed around 10pm and then get up at 8am, lay in my hammock (which is not up yet) eat a great breakfast consisting of 4 strips of bacon, two eggs over medium, a slice of toast with butter, two slices of tomato and a glass of apple juice.Then I would continue working on my video projects just as Dave said.

Martin

www.irismediaonline.com

 
At 7:21 PM , Blogger The Mac Fam said...

I am a snooze hitter also, only I hit it from 5:45 til 6:30. It's a wonder Brian hasn't kicked me out of bed. Anyway, Ideally if I could make it to bed by 10:30, wake at 8, go to the gym, eat breakfast with the fam and then go to school, work etc. I would be in heaven.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home