metromom

A collection of daily thoughts, ideas and links from a mom still seeking to acheive the "balance" of a spiritual journey, family, inner peace, carreer, world peace...while "trying" to look like a supermodel at the same time...

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Dismembered

I have spent the better part of the last hour with my hand inside every orfice of a dead chicken. While I've never claimed to be a chef, I do love to cook. It relaxes me--and if you're reading this and I love you...I've probabaly cooked for you. (and if it was the chili fiasco that you ate...I don't want to hear about it.) But in all my Rachel Rayness and wannabe cooking I've never mastered the art of the bird. I mean I use boneless/skinless breasts and ground turkey like their going out of style...but you know, poultry that actually still resembles a bird...not so much. I just can't get over the whole "innards" thing. Due to my horrid (not kidding) pregnancies I'm accustomed to puking...even 20 times in one day (for seven months, times 2) isn't inconcievable (only wish I was exaggerating this one.) Scraping out that junk gets me everytime. My gag reflex is on overdrive.

So the other day I'm at Costco and I see these whole fryers and think, yeah I can do that, I mean everyone loves a roasted chicken, so tender, juicy. Well, I take one out of the freezer this morning and begin to defrost in the sink...Well hours and hours later, I go to um, clean it, or whatever it is that you do to get it ready...and apparently it was still frozen in the middle. Because I've just pulled and prodded and scraped (all with my hands in a plastic bag so I didn't have to actually touch the stuff...eeeww)- to no avail. All I'm left with is a bloody mess, I tell ya. I just threw the bird away. My only solace in the hour of gagging and trying not to smell is that I knew I might be able to blog about it later...any one up for fish sticks tonight?

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 4:51 PM , Blogger Jessica said...

You should have used my method and busted out the tongs, they work great!

 
At 9:40 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I'm always impressed with your (and your sister-in-law's) culinary skills. I'm sorry the bird had to die in vain... but at least you attempted it.

I actually got a cool roasting pan when we got married... never used it.

 
At 1:34 PM , Blogger Deann said...

So if I read your blog, I know we are friends, and you have never cooked for me...does this mean you don't love/like me well enough to cook for me?

I think I cooked for you and Brad once. Does this mean you owe me? :)

 
At 2:04 PM , Blogger lashake777 said...

let me know when your ready to cook another one, I will come and degut it for you.. I grew up on a farm and as nurses.........well we clean up worse stuff than that. haha

You don't have to go it alone.

 
At 8:55 AM , Blogger Theresa said...

There have been so many times when my kids have helped out with dinner and put the chicken in the oven with the innerds packette still inside.

BTW, I hope you don't mind, but I'd like to post the comment you made over at RSM's site about the Christmas good deed you did....okay? It will be anonymous

 
At 9:17 AM , Blogger metromom said...

theresa...sure you can post it. :)

and with the innards thing, yuck. :0

 
At 9:39 AM , Blogger Matt Barrett said...

HA! I'm still laughing at the thought of you and chicken guts all over.

If you really want to go all out, go visit a farm, hand pick the chicken you're going to roast, then CHOP! on the tree stump with an axe. What ever you do, don't let the body go. Headless chickens run like crazy.

 
At 7:16 AM , Blogger TEACHBROECK said...

I *heart* Rachel Ray. Too bad her phone never rings, kids don't cry, or does she fold laundry during that magical 30 minutes!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home