metromom

A collection of daily thoughts, ideas and links from a mom still seeking to acheive the "balance" of a spiritual journey, family, inner peace, carreer, world peace...while "trying" to look like a supermodel at the same time...

Friday, November 10, 2006

On beoming FAB-ulous.

My dad used to always say that I shouldn't "carry the weight of the world on my shoulders." He also said that I'm "no good to anyone unless I'm good to myself first" He also said, "Use your head for something other than a hat rack." and "You're full of s**t as a Christmas Goose." So yeah, he said a lot of things...some things made sense, and others took me awhile to figure out on my own. I'm still working on the the whole, "It's better to remain silent and appear a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt." (that one's a little tricky.)

But I remember when I came to grips with a lifelong struggle...I was in my early 20's...I discovered a sickness that I would struggle with my whole life...something that if not treated could be the demise of any healthy relationship I had...That is my tendency to take responsiblity for others emotions, feelings, happiness. I'm not 100% sure when this began, but in my early 20's it was pretty obvious that I had a problem. This post isn't to outline that whole story...it would be way too long...but to share in my discovery.

I found a book that gave me new perspective. Boundaries. I wholeheartedly recommend this book to EVERYONE. It pretty much speaks to you no matter if you're where I was or if you're dealing with someone who WANTS you to take responsiblity for their lives...

At any rate one of the basic principles it deals with is taking ownership for YOUR life. The premise is that we are each responsible for our FAB. Feelings. Attitude. Behavior. That is all. We are responsible to others but not for them. This creates problems because many times we encounter people who want US to be responsible for THEIR feelings, attitudes, and behaviors. And I used to be a sucker for those kind of people. I'd bend and give until I thought I had finally made them happy, only to discover...they still weren't...and neither was I.

It's funny how you can deal with something like this, learn so much, grow so much- and then if you're not careful you fall back into this situation without even realizing. So for me its something I have to be aware of and evaluate from time to time. I'm not talking about becoming a selfish person, I'm talking about becoming responsible for me- because ultimately, I'm no good to anyone if I'm not good to myself first...thanks Dad.

6 Comments:

At 10:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Dad is a wise man, and you are learning well young grasshopper. The mileau seems to be blame instead of ownership, and yes this is at any age. It is equal opportunity disease.

Great blog

 
At 10:30 AM , Blogger The Mac Fam said...

Good one Noelle, I too recently learned this and it has brought such freedom.

 
At 1:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am also one who has struggled in this area so I can totally relate to what you are saying. I have managed however in the last decade to embrace the 'saying no' to people and that has helped me so much. Try it, you will like it!

 
At 3:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is definitely something, for some crazy*** reason, I deal with too. I am a work in progress....though, I know you must have balance with boundaries...and I have known some people to create healthy boundaries, only later to find out from observation, that they put up TOO many boundaries and shove people out of their life. :( That totally sucks. So, I will agree, though, that the book is a great one! :)

 
At 4:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Noelle! AWESOME post! The book you recommended actually CHANGED my life about three years ago. I too struggled with some of the same issues as you did. I agree with Magic Mom that this book has brought a lot of freedom into my life.

I hope that all is well in Arizona.

 
At 10:35 PM , Blogger Matt Barrett said...

That's a great self realization Noelle. Those kinds of things can change your life for ever. Sounds like it already is.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home