metromom

A collection of daily thoughts, ideas and links from a mom still seeking to acheive the "balance" of a spiritual journey, family, inner peace, carreer, world peace...while "trying" to look like a supermodel at the same time...

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

How can you love someone who leaves the seat up?

Warning: There may be sappiness ahead...Quick, run, get out now while you still can!

There are moments when I ask myself this question. How can ONE person make me so mad? How can ONE person know exactly the right buttons to push, and single handedly send me over the edge? How can someONE be all of those things and then bring home flowers unexpectedly (TWICE in one month???), or take the kids out to give me a break, or give an unsolicited hug (the BEST kind, by the way), or make me laugh so hard? This is the mystery of relationships.

The other day I overheard him telling The Girl, "You know some day when you get married, you should marry your very best friend. Did you know me and your mommy are best friends?"

To which she replied, "I'm not going to be married, I DO want my own kitchen and bathroom, just like mommy, but I don't want to get married, I don't want to say the words."

To which he replied, "Do you want me to build you a kitchen in your room?"

"Yeah!"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wanted to tell her, saying the words is scary, constantly putting the toilet seat down is annoying, but having a kitchen and bathroom is definitely not the highlight of marriage. Building a family, building a life with someone is tough work, sometimes it's dirty, sometimes its frustrating, but there's nothing like it. There's nothing more amazing that knowing someones faults, them knowing yours...and still finding love there...deeper and richer than you ever thought. I know, I know its easy to get jaded, to be cynical about marriage, because its so hard and so maddening at times...but when we get jaded and cynical we miss the moments, the things that make it all worthwhile.

5 Comments:

At 9:25 AM , Blogger Terri and Mark said...

Well said!

 
At 1:26 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Mine is "How can you love someone who leaves the new toilet paper roll on top of the old?" Of course, sometimes that's ME.

Reminds me of a scene from my favorite movie, The Story of Us, which is THE GREATEST RELATIONSHIP MOVIE EVER. Of course, in the end, she says, "I know where we keep the Bactine, and what kind of mood you're in when you wake up by which eyebrow
is higher." (The whole monologue is here.) The point is, you build a life with someone, and yeah, he can be infuriating, but in the end, you'd rather have his faults than anyone else's.

Thanks for an inspiring reminder of why we love our men... in spite of everything. (And why they love us in spite of our need to organize everything and make them civilized.)

 
At 1:26 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Dangit. I thought I removed all the line breaks!

 
At 2:57 PM , Blogger The Mac Fam said...

I so completely agree. And about the toilet seat, you at least have one allie (sp?) where as I on the other hand am all alone in my world of putting the toilet seat down. ;)

 
At 11:25 AM , Blogger mom_twice_over said...

It kinda makes you appreciate everything about him.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home