metromom

A collection of daily thoughts, ideas and links from a mom still seeking to acheive the "balance" of a spiritual journey, family, inner peace, carreer, world peace...while "trying" to look like a supermodel at the same time...

Monday, September 13, 2004

Mommy wow, I'm a big kid now...

I looked back over my shoulder this morning as I dropped Angelina off for her very first day of preschool. She was watching me through the window as she sat at a table and played. She gave me a wave and a funny look. She didn't seem scared, just kind of, unsure. Maybe unsure of what this new thing called "school" meant...but brave enough to take on the challenge.

She is such a special girl, and I am so blesesed to be her mom. When Brad and I found out after only 8 months of marriage that we'd be having a baby, I wasn't sure I was ready for that. Now, years later I don't know how anyone could enrich someone's life as much as she has ours.

Once I had a friend who has been...let's say...reluctant to have a child, ask me the following question. "Noelle, tell me the truth. When you tell me you hope I have a kid soon, are you saying it because it really is great - or just that misery loves company?"

I couldn't really put in to words my feelings other than saying, without a doubt being a mom is the most amazing thing I've done. Maybe not every minute of every day, but at some point in every day, I thank God that He brought her into my life. Are you a parent? What are your thoughts?


7 Comments:

At 2:32 PM , Blogger Deann said...

I totally agree Noelle! Having the boys has fulfilled a part of me I did not know was empty. They give me life when I feel like I have none! THey are challenging, but so worth it! I did not know "unconditional" love existed like it does until I had Jacob. WOW! I was blown away. I remember right before I had Tyler I was so scared I would love him as much as Jake. Then they put him in my arms and I remember looking at Matt and saying, "he came with his own love!"

Friday night there was a car accident in town that killed a 10 year old boy from our church. It was a wake up call once again that no matter what the day has been like, I am blessed beyond words that God gave me the gift of His children in my life.

 
At 6:35 PM , Blogger Shannon said...

Did you cry when you looked over your shoulder? You are a great Momma! Now she will learn more words (and how to spell them)to her ever growing vocabulary! Pretty soon she will begin to define them for you. If she ever has problems in preschool she can ask the GENIUS Barrett kid to help her out!

 
At 6:15 AM , Blogger Deann said...

Thanks Shannon!! :) I am so glad my boys take after their mother and not their father! HA!

Would you believe me if I told you that Tyler has just as big a vocab and talks just as much as Jacob? BLessings or curses??? Hmm.....

 
At 9:16 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Deann, you must look forward to bedtime so you can have some peace and quiet.

OK, a confession. The reason that I'm unwilling to have kids right now, besides that it's not the "right time" financially, etc., is that I don't think my husband is ready to take on another "load" and I don't want to do it alone.

 
At 1:34 PM , Blogger Deann said...

There is a reason my boys are in bed by 8pm and we are enjoying the peace and quiet by 8:15!!! :)

 
At 7:02 PM , Blogger Matt Barrett said...

Betsy - let me assure you, there is never a right time for kids. Had it not been for our 0.001% of beating the odds, we would still be a couple of DINK's.
Best advice, when you feel you've accomplished absolutely nothing in life and are absolutely petrified of kids. Get pregnant. Worked great for me.

 
At 8:01 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Matt, thanks. That's oddly comforting. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home