metromom

A collection of daily thoughts, ideas and links from a mom still seeking to acheive the "balance" of a spiritual journey, family, inner peace, carreer, world peace...while "trying" to look like a supermodel at the same time...

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Night Light

I'm sitting here in the silence of my house, everyone is tucked away but me and it's only 9:05pm. What??!! Complete, utter silence. It's beautiful. A gorgeous storm is lighting up the sky and it is breathtaking. I love watching rain fall. Every few seconds the entire sky lights up and every now and then thunder crashes in the distance.



It reminds me of when I was 19 years old. My little Mazda pick up with the camper shell was packed to the ceiling with everything I owned in this world...which wasn't much. My Mom, a great friend and I squeezed together on the bench seat driving across country without airconditioning in the middle of summer, caravaning with some other friends to an unkown place. Well, I mean I knew where I was going, but Tulsa may have been Africa to a 19 year old girl who'd lived in the same house on the same street her entire life.

We left early in the morning and drove late into the night. It was hot. Consumingly hot. We sang songs. We talked, took pictures, laughed, cried about me moving so far away from just about everything I'd ever known, and laughed some more. When we reached Texas a storm, much like this one, lit up the long flat road ahead of us. The black night shone bright as day as the lightning covered the sky.I remember the way it made me feel. Like the world was so much bigger than me yet, somehow my life still meant something. At least I was hoping and dreaming it did.

I had no idea where the next ten years would bring me, I could never have guessed that I'd be sitting here right now. Ideas change, Ideals can change, but somehow, somewhere in the midst of it all hoping and praying my life will mean something to this world I live in. Right now, I'm content to know that there are at least a few inside this house that think so.

10 Comments:

At 8:27 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I used to love watching the lightening storms in Tulsa, too. But there's something about the wide open skies here in AZ that makes these storms more awesome and ferocious!

I remember the day I packed up my life and traveled from Greenville, North Carolina to Tulsa, Oklahoma. It was an adventure that I thought would last a year. We're on 8 years and counting!

I'm so thankful that God brought us all to Tulsa and that our paths have crossed and intertwined. I'll always be grateful that we met you and Brad, er, Metrodad, and for where this journey has taken us.

 
At 10:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My friend, you are such a great writer. I too am thankful that you both decided to come to Tulsa. And I too, know what it feels like to pack up everything that you own and move across the country. How blessed am I to have gotten to do it with my very best friends in the whole world. The whole experience, just like the storms, is a little scary but very beautiful. What an awesome God we serve. No human could have ochestrated all of the wonderful people in my life or the awesome things that I have gotten to be a part of. And, we all know, that it didn't happen because I always had a perfect attitude or made perfect choices. Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts...I really do love ya and your life counts to me!

 
At 10:32 AM , Blogger Martin said...

I used to drive out in the country where our house was in Canada and just lay on the roof of my car watching the stars or lighting storms and Bets is right the crazy lighting here is so much more FEROCIOUS! Reminds me of storms in South Africa.

The day I left for Tulsa, I packed my bags and headed out to the Greyhound bus station in Buffalo NY. It was still dark and I had to say good bye to all the one's I loved. Teary eyed and excited I was thinking "I will be back in a year". 24 Hours later, pulling into Tulsa, my thoughts were, "My God what have I done?!"

Now 8 years later, I wouldn't trade my decisions, my actions or my life path for the world...Here's to what we left behind and here's to now and the future...

 
At 11:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lightnening is very cool. It's neat to think that one bolt if harnesed could light up new york for a month.

Anyways, I too remember 8 years ago getting married and packing up and leaving for a new life with my wonderful husband. Who knew, but God that we'd soon after that be expecting a baby and then another and then twins. Wow, how time flies and so much can happen in that time.

 
At 12:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a beautiful post. Simply beautiful. Just like the author!

 
At 3:23 PM , Blogger metromom said...

they have cars in canada? wow. news to me. do they have mcdonalds too, i mean that would be just soooo cool!!!!

;) just kidding...canada rocks...i wish i was shopping at roots as i type this...

 
At 12:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember that trip so well. You were supposed to come back in two years. I'll never forget the singing to the Lord the night of the storm. I can't hear "Shout to the Lord" without thinking of "D". What a turn of events. You were my first child I could hold. You have touched my world and it has never been the same. My daughter, my friend. your mom

 
At 2:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are very brave my friend! Thunder and lightning absolutely makes me head for an interior room- I hate it soooooo much! I cannot wait for monsoon to be over - although I honestly do praise God for the rain on behalf of all of my plants.

 
At 9:52 PM , Blogger The Mac Fam said...

Having just returned home from a recent trip to my other "home" I experienced alot of lightning, only not in the sky. Just like a real storm I was a little scared but towards the end of it I felt very calm knowing things would be "all good" and I would see the sun again.

 
At 4:32 PM , Blogger Girl in Love said...

Okay....it's time to post. I know, I know, I need to do it too....but, it's been almost 3 weeks! C'mon!!! :-) I must say, that I did enjoy reading this "Night Light"..... :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home