metromom

A collection of daily thoughts, ideas and links from a mom still seeking to acheive the "balance" of a spiritual journey, family, inner peace, carreer, world peace...while "trying" to look like a supermodel at the same time...

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The Outfit Wars

Just about everyday I'll be out and about with the kiddos in tow, and I'll see one of those...you know...mom's. You know the kind...the ones driving the minivans. Their doors magically open and out pop three blond haired children of perfection. Their clothes, color coordinated, their hair coifed sleekly, complete with matching bows and walking hand in hand across the parking lot into the supermarket. I wonder what it would be like to have a little girl who let me dress her. The Girl has been picking out outfits since she was barely two. And she has an opinion about everything. She knows what shoes she wants to wear, and it's a fight most days for me to have any say so. I've tried the, here's three outfits, you chose one....this almost always turns into a full on scrap...she doesn't like my choices. It doesn't matter that its an outfit she loved three days ago...today she does NOT want to wear it. It does NOT match. It is NOT beautiful. So we've come to a quasi-agreement- some days she picks, some days I pick. Yesterday, she picked. Inspired by Eloise she selected an ensemble that got many looks...and it wasn't because people thought I was the soccer mom of the month...Some day her spunkiness is going to make a successful woman...(hopefully a bit better dressed than this:)

11 Comments:

At 9:00 AM , Blogger Terri and Mark said...

The only thing throwing me off is the BRIGHT red shoes!!! Dorothy would be proud!

 
At 10:19 AM , Blogger Matt Barrett said...

Here's an idea... pick out all of her interchangable outfits where the pants match the shirts and in the middle of the night when she sleeps take everything else out of her closet and hide it. Then tell her you've decided she's grown up enough to pick out what ever she wants to wear, so she should go to her closet and get dressed. You'll trust her to pick the right outfit.

If she asks where the rest of her clothes are, tell her they are in the laundry and you should have that done in a day or so, but to just pick something out of the closet so you can get going.

If you think she's too clever for that, take the next week or two and wash only those clothes that interchange and actually leave the rest unwashed.

Genius I tell you - Genius

 
At 12:01 PM , Blogger metromom said...

By the way tights in 112...great idea, huh?

 
At 1:02 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

She is so fabulous.

Matt has a solution for everything, doesn't he? I'd like to see him try to raise a princess like Lina!

 
At 3:10 PM , Blogger Jessica said...

She cracks me up! I have the biggest smile on my face...I love that little girl so much!

 
At 3:18 PM , Blogger The Mac Fam said...

All I can say is fabulous dahling, absolutely fabulous.

 
At 8:26 AM , Blogger JennyLee said...

That is so great!

 
At 9:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is all going to change in a few years when she gets to junior high and she'll want designer everything like unkie cole!!!!! So enjoy the ride, cause she is going to need a great job or you will need one! Major on the majors and minor on the minors. Of course it's taken me alot of years to get this wisdom. I love you both to pieces. The Grandy

 
At 4:57 AM , Blogger Steph said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:59 AM , Blogger Steph said...

Noelle - She is TOO CUTE!! Be proud of the independance that she is fostering. A lot of times the perfectly dressed kids and wonderful looking family, although they look happy on the outside, they are not enjoying the love, fun, and laughter that your family seems to have. I know from experience because I was one of those perfectly dressed kids. I wish my mom would have let me dress myself how I wanted. You are letting Angelina develop her own sense of style too! :-)

 
At 6:43 AM , Blogger metromom said...

thanks Steph, that is really encouraging to hear... :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home